Los Angeles beaches are often dirty and crowded, with the water so far from the parking lot, you’re exhausted by the time you finally claim your spot in the sand.
But not Marina Beach. This place has rightfully earned the nickname “Mother’s Beach.”
And here’s why. For one thing, there’s a kid’s play area just steps from the water. There’s no surf and no waves and the water is fairly shallow, making it manageable for even those usually skittish around water.
For those who love water, it’s the perfect place to play safely.
OUR NOTES FROM THE FIELD
The little explorer headed straight to the play structures, which were completely kid-free when we arrived around 10 a.m. He had the three separate structures all to himself and was eager to go discovering. His favorite by far was this cool pirate ship.
Eventually, we headed down to the sand and the water’s edge. The hype was true: no surf translated into a completely calm shoreline just perfect for little ones.
I’m not sure if it was the dreary weather or the little explorer feeling less-than-his-best, but he wasn’t enjoying himself as much as I’d anticipated. So I called in the troops: Thomas the tank can work miracles.
Then we made sea creatures in the sand.
The little explorer loved filling his bucket up with water in the shallow water, then carrying the bucket up to our beach blanket and pouring it on out on the sand. Kept him occupied for what felt like forever.
We were joined by some friends for a picnic lunch and more fun at the water’s edge, where the kids chased birds and watched the sailboats go by. There were kayakers, too – even a paddleboarder.
Bonus? The sun finally did make its appearance but the crowds did not.
- Admission to Mother’s Beach is free
- Beach has no surf and plenty of sand, making it ideal for toddlers and young kids; older kids may find it less exciting than a spot with waves
- Popular spot for playdates, but not overly crowded on weekdays
- Children’s play area includes several pieces of equipment, including a pirate ship
- Public parking is available in Lot 11 off Paway ($8 per day/credit card payments accepted)
- The beach is a boarding location for the Marina del Rey Waterbus during summer weekends ($1 a ride)
- Facilities include picnic tables, lifeguard tower, restrooms, showers, barbeques
MY TIPS FOR A GREAT VISIT
- Plan a playdate. This is the perfect spot for an outdoor playdate. Add some sand toys and you’ll be good for hours of entertainment.
- Take a ride on the water. On summer weekends, you can take a waterbus ride for $1!
Mother’s Beach is located at:
4101 Admiralty Way
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292