A couple of weekends ago, the explorers and I finally had an excuse to check out the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum. We were there to see Rhythm Child – an interactive drum group that focuses on getting kids active and connected to the world through music.
The creative genius behind Rhythm Child just happens to be a fellow parent at the big explorer’s school – and his kids are part of the group, too. The Theatricum is one of their favorite venues and now I know why.
The open-air theater offers a soothing escape from the city and is the perfect spot to enjoy music or theater outdoors. Set amongst the backdrop of Topanga Canyon’s gorgeous, towering oak trees and quiet seclusion, the Theatricum offers plenty for outdoorsy families to enjoy. For starters, there’s the performance itself, which is a perfect blend of the natural elements and the arts.
After the interactive singing and drumming performance, we headed outside the theater for a picnic, then some serious exploring. It didn’t take us long to discover the creek running alongside the front edge of the property.
We were lured further and further upstream by all sorts of exciting discoveries. There were the masses of tadpoles, a tire swing (which sadly proved inoperable), rocks perfect for throwing in the water and low water levels that made crossing the stream a joyous endeavor for little explorers.
We could have spent all afternoon there searching for more wonders from nature. My kinda fun.
Tips for Visiting With Kids
- Pick a show to match your childs’ interests. Family Fundays feature everything from music and theater to story telling and puppets.
- Explore the area. Allow time to check out the natural surroundings outside the Theatricum. Bring a picnic, then let the kids play.
- Family Fundays at the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum feature plays, music & more; performances run weekly June through October
- Family Funday performances are usually Sundays at 11 a.m.; tickets are $9 for those two and older
- The Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum also offers a complete season of theatrical performances for adults, as well as a dinner & a show option
- Parking is free along Topanga Canyon Blvd.; there is a $5 fee to park in the Theatricum lot
- No food is allowed in the Theatricum, but picnics are permitted outside it after performances; there is also a small snack shop that sells snacks & beverages after shows
- Restrooms are available on site
The Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum is located at:
1419 N. Topanga Canyon Blvd.
Topanga Canyon, CA 90290
Note: I was not compensated in any way to visit the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum or to write this review. The opinions expressed here are my own. You can read my full disclosure policy for more information.