We’d been to nearby Malibu Lagoon State Beach several times, yet had no idea Legacy Park was right across the highway. It makes for a great addition to a day exploring the beach.
The 15-acre Legacy Park is a sort of central park in the heart of Malibu. There’s a flat path that meanders through the park, which features four important native coastal habitats – coastal prairies, coastal bluffs, Southern California native woodlands and riparian/wetland.
There are informational signs throughout the park providing education about local flora and fauna. There’s also a small outdoor amphitheater and beautiful mosaic animal sculptures scattered throughout.
Not that you needed any more reason to visit, but there’s also this: Legacy Park just happens to be an environmental cleaning machine – capable of capturing stormwater and urban runoff for treatment and disinfection, then reusing the clean water to irrigate the park.
While some of these impressive features may be lost on the youngest explorers, Legacy Park is a serene spot to enjoy some quiet time in nature. Consider it a nature playground! Put your bird watching skills to the test (we spotted a great egret), take a short “hike” around the park and play on the mosaic sculptures in the children’s area.
Date of most recent visit: Sat., Jan. 7, 2012
Who: Mom & The Explorers
Weather: Breezy, high 60s
- Seeing a great egret (and what we think was a young one, too)
- Running along the trails
- Getting our feet (and shoes, and pants) muddy
- Climbing on all the mosaic animals found throughout the park
- Watching the day’s light and color change right before our eyes (we visited close to sunset)
- The Legacy Park children’s play area consists of several mosaic creatures that kids can climb on
- This is a great spot to put your wildlife spotting skills to the test
- Walking path is level & stroller friendly, but be prepared for some muddy patches
- The children’s play area is located on Civic Center Way; parking is available here or a short walk away at Malibu Country Mart
- No restrooms available at Legacy Park; the closest are at Malibu Country Mart
- This is a great stand-alone outing, or you can combine it with a stop at the Malibu Country Mart’s playground or a visit to Malibu Lagoon State Beach just across Pacific Coast Highway
Legacy Park is located at:
23500 Civic Center Way
Malibu, CA 90265