Each spring, The Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch come alive in blazing fields of color. More than 50 acres of color, in fact. The main attraction? Giant Tecolote Ranunculus in more than 10 different colors, including shades such as “flame,” “merlot” and “café.” And don’t forget the view of the Pacific Ocean. Yeah, it’s good stuff.
The fields have a history that goes back almost 100 years. You could say they’ve perfected the art of growing ranunculus. Every year, the flowers die back and produce seed for replanting in the same fields for the next season.
You might think a field of flowers would bore kids after a while. But that’s what makes The Flower Fields such a pleasant destination. In addition to the fields themselves, there’s lots more to see and do.
Take the “Stamp Passport” handed to kids as they enter, for example. Kids are challenged to find each of 8 stations (which, thankfully, are well-marked with orange flags), stamp their passport, then get $1 off sluice mining. This simple activity can turn your visit into a real adventure.
Stamping stations can be found at all of the fields’ major attractions, including the lookout area, sweet pea maze, rose garden and Santa’s Village Playground. There really is something for everyone in the family to enjoy.
Date of most recent visit: Fri., April 6, 2012
Who: Mom & The Explorers
Weather: Sunny, mid 60s
- Taking a tractor wagon ride through the flower fields
- Getting up-close views of flowers of one specific color at a time
- “Mining” for rocks
- Gathering stamps to complete The Flower Fields passport
- Playing in Santa’s Village Playground
- The Flower Fields are open from March 1 through May 13, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Admission to The Flower Fields is $11 for adults, $5 for kids 3 through 10; kids 2 & under are free
- Wagon rides are $5 for adults, $3 for kids 3 through 10
- Other attractions include sluice mining (for fee), a sweet pea maze, an orchid greenhouse, rose & theme gardens, a poinsettia display, a playground & more
- Fresh cut flowers are available for purchase
- The Flower Fields play host to several special events throughout the season
- Restroom facilities on site
- Vending machines & food vendors sell snack items; you can also bring your own food & enjoy it in the picnic area
- Ample free parking
- If you time your visit right, you can combine a trip to The Flower Fields with strawberry picking at the nearby Carlsbad Strawberry Company U-pick site
The Flower Fields are located at:
5704 Paseo Del Norte
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Looking for more fun family nature adventures in Los Angeles? Check out the Big List of Outdoor Adventures for Los Angeles Kids.