Today, I’m happy to be joining a group of wonderful bloggers participating in the “100 Days of Play Blog Hop” hosted by Sun Scholars and Life at the Zoo. Every day between April 1 and July 20, 2013, a different blogger is sharing one easy play idea to help you connect with your kids.
Now it’s my turn and as you might have guessed, I’m sharing a simple idea for outdoor nature play.
Backyard mud bath
Warning: This is not an activity for those who cringe at the sight of a little dirt (which is none of you, right?). The goal here is to get as messy as possible!
To make a backyard mud bath:
- Find a large container. We used a galvanized tub, but as long as the container is big enough to get hands and feet into, you’re good. (Or consider going big and use a kiddie pool to create a giant mud pit.)
- Set up the container in a fairly open space. This is important so that stray mud doesn’t find its way onto things it shouldn’t be on (like garage doors, back doors, house windows etc.). And yes, I learned this lesson the hard way.
- Have the kids add dirt and water until they are happy with the consistency of the mud.
- Encourage the kids to apply mud to hands, arms, feet and legs as desired.
- Let ’em play!
I can promise that no two mud baths will ever be the same. After The Explorers covered themselves in mud, they made mud pies, muddy hand prints and a mud run. They laid out in the sun to help the mud harden on their skin. Then they had a mud fight, which is when things got really messy.
To make clean up a little easier:
- Dress the part. Make sure the kids are wearing clothes that can get dirty. Some may prefer to strip down or wear a bathing suit instead of play clothes.
- Have a wash down station prepared in advance. It could be as simple as a hose or a bucket of soapy water. The goal is to wash off as much mud as possible from both clothes and bodies before entering the house.
- Make a beeline to the bath or shower.
Sharing simple ideas on how to connect with your children through play!
New ideas shared each day from April 1 through July 20, 2013.
100 Days of Play is brought to you by these wonderful bloggers:
SunScholars . Frogs, Snails & Puppy Dog Tails . Playful Learners . Train Up a Child . Fantastic Fun & Learning . Scribble, Doodle & Draw . Learn. Create. Love. . Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas . Nothing if Not Intentional . My Little 3 & Me . Buggy & Buddy . Sun Hats & Wellie Boots . Twodaloo . True Aim . The Educators’ Spin On It . Blog Me Mom . Life At The Zoo . Putti’s World . Kitchen Counter Chronicles . Triple T Mum . Busy Kids Happy Mom . Crystal’s Tiny Treasures . Rainy Day Mum . Momma’s Fun World . My Little Bookcase . Craftulate . One Perfect Day . MumCentral . Artchoo! . Creative World Of Varya . Simple. Home. Blessings. . JDaniel4’s Mom . NurtureStore . Me & Marie Learning . Child Central Station . Mamas Like Me . Mama Miss . Making Boys Men . Powerful Mothering . Craft to Art . 3 Dinosaurs . Domestic Goddesque . Lessons Learnt Journal . Royal Baloo . Smiling Like Sunshine . Adventures at Home with Mum . B-Inspired Mama . PragmaticMom . Eazy Peazy Mealz . Gluesticks . TheBoy&Me . Learning is Messy . My Nearest & Dearest . Growing Book by Book . How to Run a Home Daycare . Here Come the Girls . Think Magnet . Dandelions Picked . 123 Homeschool 4 Me . Our Ordinary Life . Parenting with Professor Poppins . 2 Little Hooligans . Fun-a-Day! . The Non-Martha Mamma . Angelique Felix . My Very Educated Mother . Creative Playhouse . Go Explore Nature . Zing Zing Tree . Sense of Wonder . Childhood 101 . Crayon Freckles . KZ & Me . Serenity You . This Mumma’s Life . Leapfrog & Ladybugs . Blue Bear Wood . Growing Together . KC EDventures . Mommy Lessons 101 . Nature & Play . Like Mama Like Daughter . Mums Make Lists . From Wine to Whine . Messy Kids . Babble Dabble Do . Sugar Aunts . Teaching @ Home . Preschool Powol Packets . Clothed in Love . Curiosity Creates . The Magnolia Barn . Strong Start . Stay-at-Home Mom Survival Guide . Learn with Play at Home . Mummy… Mummy… MUM! . Science Sparks . Toddler Approved . Thrive 360 Living . Rockabye Butterfly . Mud Hut Mama . Coffee Cups & Crayons . Playing with Words 365 . My Lil Love Bugs . Creative Connections for Kids . LalyMom . Love, Play, Learn . Kindergarten & Preschool for Parents & Teachers . The Pleasantest Thing . Teach Beside Me