50 Ways to Explore Nature in Your Own Backyard

Exploring nature doesn’t have to mean hitting the trail, heading to the mountains or going camping (though those are all fine ideas). Connecting with nature can be as simple as heading out the back door.

50 ways to explore nature in your own backyard

Many of these ideas for backyard nature fun are things we’ve tried; others are on our bucket list (which means you may be reading about them in the future). Thanks to all you wonderful outdoor and play bloggers out there inspiring me every day with your great work!

Get Our Fun Updates

No spam guarantee.

Hope one or more of these ideas will encourage you to head outdoors and spend some time exploring nature with your kids.

1. Go cloud watching
22. Create rock art
23. Gaze at the stars
24. Plant a tree from seed
25. Play with sticks
26. Build snow animals
27. Watch a sunset
28. Go butterfly watching (and maybe catch a few!)
29. Host a backyard garden tour
43. Go on a bird watching scavenger hunt
44. Make a birdfeeder
45. Start a nature journal
46. Paint rocks
47. Create land art
48. Take a compass walk
49. Make sand angels (snow angels are nice, too)
50. Go on a backyard bug hunt

50 ways to explore nature in your own backyard

What about you – what’s your favorite way to connect with nature in your backyard?

Comments

1. says

@Abbie & Mamapoekie: Thanks so much for sharing – I'm excited to meet so many people wanting to get their kids outside!

2. says

Great list! We do so many of these but are such great ideas to share. <br />Sharing with my fans on Greening Sam and Avery facebook!

3. Karin says

Love your list! I saw a mom at the park today tracing her kids shadows with sidewalk chalk and then letting the kids draw on the clothes and facial features. My kids love playing with their shadows!

4. says

@clarkbeast: I agree about giving kids a camera — it adds a whole new world of discovery for them. Thanks for sharing!

5. says

@Nature Rocks: Thank you! :o)<br /><br />@Frank &amp; Sue: I most certainly hope you continue to roar at the moon well beyond 50! Kids need role models!:)

6. says

I&#39;m impressed! We need more people like you who inspire others to stop sitting in front of TV screens and computers and head outside to explore. <br /><br />By the way, thanks for sharing this great article on the Nature Rocks Facebook page. I really appreciate it!

7. says

@Kerri: Thank you!<br /><br />@Mel: I never thought of this as a list of our accomplishments, actually. But, yeah, I guess you&#39;re right – we&#39;re walking the talk!<br /><br />@Marghanita: Thank you for your continued inspiration my nature friend!<br /><br />@Crystal: You are sweet … &amp; many congrats to you – I&#39;ve missed you!

8. says

What a great list! The experiences you&#39;re sharing with your children are so very inspiring. I agree with backyardsafari…your boys are so very lucky!<br /><br />(I&#39;m sorry I&#39;ve been MIA for a while now…my family&#39;s had a wonderfully eventful, exhausting month. I&#39;m settling down with a cup of tea while Shane naps and am determined to catch up with you and the other blogs I

9. says

Great list Deb and big hugs for including my pinecone bird feeder and fairy house building. So many wonderful things to do with your children in your own back yard. One of my favourite being ………bug hunts!

10. says

Quite comprehensive! It must be sort of rewarding to make a list like this and see all the things you&#39;ve done. And great for the rest of us to get some ideas.

11. says

@SquiggleMum: Thanks for sharing!<br /><br />@backyardsafari: Glad you enjoyed the list. Thanks for saying such a sweet thing! :)