It’s official: Christmas is a mere 24 days away. In our house – semi-remodeled/semi-chaotic as it might be – the excitement is palpable. It’s everyone’s favorite time of the year.
And with reason. We have lots of family traditions to look forward to. The challenge is to stress less and have more fun as we enjoy those traditions.
That’s where these 25 Christmas nature activities for families come in handy. These activities are simple, help family members connect with each other and the season, and get everyone outside. Pick a few or choose one for every day from now until Christmas.
- Make handmade Christmas tree cards from leaf rubbings
- String popcorn & cranberry garland for the birds
- Decorate with nature for the holidays, indoors & out
- String a Christmas nature garland
- Create an ornament from nature
- Make birdseed ornaments
- Decorate an outdoor tree for wildlife
- Build a holiday card tree
- Make twig stars (they make perfect tree toppers!)
- Take a holiday lights walk
- Head to a Christmas tree farm (or elsewhere) & pick your own live tree
- Have a Christmas-themed picnic (we like to wear Santa hats & enjoy a holiday treat)
- Make a snow or sand angel
- Explore pine trees or other conifers
- Build a snowman (a chalk snowman is fun if you don’t have any snow outside)
- Go ice skating at an outdoor rink
- Attend a special local outdoor holiday event
- Turn pictures of nature into holiday gift tags
- Create gifts using items from nature (like our alphabet rocks or a personalized ornament)
- Sing Christmas carols outside
- Make magic reindeer food (or maybe a reindeer ice wreath)
- Snuggle up with a backyard campfire, a Christmas story & hot cocoa
- Go on a holiday neighborhood scavenger hunt
- Make an ice ornament
- Go on a Christmas Day hike
If you need more inspiration, I’m collecting new ideas every day on my Christmas nature fun Pinterest board.